Creating a post-crash checklist can help ensure that you stay safe and receive the compensation you deserve for the losses or injuries you have sustained.
With that in mind, let’s review the steps you should take if you find yourself in this situation.
A Post Crash Checklist for Cyclists
- Immediately after the crash, check yourself for injuries. This includes common bike fall injuries such as cuts, scrapes, broken bones etc.
- Render first aid to yourself or others if needed. Evaluate yourself for a concussion (check and see if your helmet is cracked or damaged).
- If the accident is significant, contact first responders.
- Ask the other party for information or write down the vehicle’s license plate number.
- If witnesses are present, ask them for contact information. Their neutral testimony could help you establish the other party’s fault if a settlement or court case follows.
- Take photos or videos of the crash scene. This can also help establish liability and help you prevail in a court case.
- Ask police to make an incident report.
- If you are in pain or feel you may have internal injuries, seek a medical evaluation at once.
- In the days or weeks that follow, request the incident report from police.
- Track any medical expenses you accrue, or any lost wages from time off work, or any added costs (such as transport) that you have dealt with as a result of the accident.
- Contact an experienced California bicycle accident attorney.
- A California bicycle accident law firm can help ensure that insurers will not take advantage of you. Insurance companies employ skilled negotiators who will seek to minimize any compensation regardless of your level of injury or loss. Working with an experienced California bicycle accident lawyer can level the playing field.
- Ask your attorney any questions you have. This may include inquiring about their experience level or their process for communicating with clients.
- California bicycle accident lawyers can also help you understand how the legal process works, how liability is established and how any compensation you receive may be calculated.
- By asking these questions, you can ensure that your attorney is a specialist in bicycle accident law and set your mind at ease. Understanding how to deal with insurance companies or when to take a settlement can be difficult tasks for someone without legal training. The right law firm can make this process as painless as possible.
The Next Steps for You to Take
By following this checklist, you can help ensure that you recover from your injuries quickly, and that your legal rights in the wake of the accident are protected.
It’s important, however, to pay close attention to experience when considering working with a bicycle accident lawyer in California. These cases can be complex when it comes to establishing liability, so it is critical to work with a legal partner with a track record within this field of litigation.
Finding the Right Bicycle Accident Attorney
Gary Brustin is a lifelong cyclist and a specialist in bicycle accident law. In fact, these are the only types of cases he accepts. If you’ve been injured in a collision, we urge you to contact Gary for a complimentary consultation.